Google tag

09 January 2021

24 prayers by St. John Chrysostom

 

   780)

Until flesh is showing its own importance, there is nothing wrong; but when we allow it everything and when – crossing its own borders – it [flesh] confronts the soul, then it loses and ruins everything, not because of its own nature, but due to intemperance and the disorder ensuing [from the latter]. 

Sentences by St. John Chrysostom

 





24 Prayers of St. JOHN Chrysostom

24 prayers of John Chrysostom according to the number of hours of day and night – for each hour its own prayer .

1  1.                 O Lord, deprive me not of Thy heavenly good things. 

2  2.                 O Lord, deliver me from the eternal torments. 

3  3.                 O Lord, if I have sinned in mind or thought, in word or deed, forgive me. 

4  4.                 O Lord, deliver me from all ignorance, forgetfulness, faintheartedness, and stony insensibility. 

5  5.                 O Lord, deliver me from every temptation. 

6  6.                 O Lord, enlighten my heart which evil desire hath darkened. 

7  7.                 O Lord, as a man I have sinned, but do Thou, as the com­passionate God, have mercy on me, seeing the infirmity of my soul. 

    8.                 O Lord, send Thy grace to my help, that I may glorify Thy holy name. 

9  9.                 O Lord, Jesus Christ, write me Thy servant in the Book of Life, and grant me a good end. 

110.                 O Lord my God, even though I have done nothing good in Thy sight, yet grant me Thy grace to make a good beginning. 

111.                 O Lord, sprinkle into my heart the dew of Thy grace. 

112.                 O Lord of heaven and earth, remember me Thy sinful servant, shameful and unclean, in Thy kingdom.  Amen.

 

1  1.                 O Lord, accept my penitence. 

2  2.                 O Lord, forsake me not. 

3  3.                 O Lord, lead me not into temptation. 

 4.                 O Lord, grant me good thoughts. 

 5.                 O Lord, grant me tears, and remembrance of death, and compunction. 

 6.                 O Lord, grant me the thought of confessing my sins. 

 7.                 O Lord, grant me humility, chastity, and obedience. 

    8.                 O Lord, grant me patience, courage, and meekness. 

9.                 O Lord, implant in me the root of good, Thy fear in my heart. 

110.                 O Lord, vouchsafe me to love Thee with all my soul and thoughts, and in all things to do Thy will. 

111.                 O Lord, protect me from evil men, and demons, and passions, and from every other unseemly thing. 

112.                 O Lord, Thou knowest that Thou doest as Thou wilt: Thy will be done also in me a sinner; for blessed art Thou unto the ages.  Amen.

 

Saint Theophan the Recluse attached great importance to these prayers and recommended them to many of his spiritual children as the basis of the prayer rule, as a school of unceasing contemplation of God.  Here are some excerpts from his letters:

“How to read the prayers of St. Chrysostom (24 in evening prayers for sleep)?  Read them before prayer, so that the attention is gathered together ... But at any time, mentally repeat.  This is the best way to accustom yourself to remembering God, and this remembering is the basis of spiritual life.  Bows should be made, and sometimes down to the earth”.

“You can use the prayers of St. Chrysostom instead of your home rule in the morning.  Memorize them and think them over.  In them all spiritual life is remembered.  How many times to remember each - define it so that you stand at prayer as much as you usually stand at the rule.  You can attach your prayers to them - choose from the psalms: write down which rhyme is to your heart ... Using these prayers onto the rule with attention, you will soon get used to standing on prayer undistractedly.  Insert the Jesus Prayer into their midst.  For example, having said ten times: "Lord, deprive me not of Thy heavenly goods," apply: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

“The purpose of short prayers is to facilitate the collection of thoughts and sobriety. Strength is not in words, but in a feeling for God. It will soon be formed among the working people over prayer. This is smart prayer. The mind, standing in the heart, beholds God and intelligently confesses to Him by invoking Him ... Feeling for God is unceasing prayer without words. "

 

 https://svidetel.livejournal.com/608933.html

The 24 prayers of St. John Chrysostom (- for every hour of the day [and night]) that are read on the evening rule are a real miracle. They are known to every Orthodox believer, but has anyone thought about them thoroughly: what does all this mean? And it is good if someone remembers them all by heart, it is even better if someone understands their meaning the way they should be understood, but even better still if someone applies them to their life, finding in them petitions regarding one's life.

"O Lord, grant me a thought for [the] good." - When a person reads a prayer seriously, and not superficially, then he kind of enters the spirit of prayer, enters the path of the saint - the one who left this prayer after himself. Into the luminous stream of spirituality, into the stream of light, let it be narrow and intermittent due to lack of faith. Only this light is not sensible, but namely spiritual. And it is seen differently than known lights. And one does not just enter there, detached from one's life, but reconciles one's life in this moment with what is being read; then one reads as if from oneself:

"O Lord, grant me, send me a good, salvific thought for my soul that will help me become better."

O Lord my God, even though I have done nothing good in Thy sight, yet grant me Thy grace to make a good beginning.

O Lord, vouchsafe me to love Thee with all my soul and thoughts, and in all things to do Thy will.

It seems so simple, but this had to be said, and St. John did. And the rest, too. Such an abyss of meanings is contained in these petitions, how can this leave anyone indifferent?

And, by the way, an interesting point, why such prayers exactly were composed by the saint, which he put into the code of the daily cycle of the prayer rule? After all, each prayer corresponds to a certain hour of the day - and why such a prayer [namely]? We don’t ask this when we read it, but it’s interesting anyway. Perhaps, if you understand why, then it would have made even greater sense when reading them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment you MUST be
a Google account user