Google tag

19 January 2021

TRIZNA - T H Shevchenko (excerpt), PARADISE APPLES - V S Vysotzky

 


TRIZNA
Yagotin (11 ноября 1843) to commemorate Nov. 9

TARAS SHEVCHENKO

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Who could he shelter
In the light of his heart and mind,
And hide like a defenseless dove
From the sorrows of life;

And to young Persians, languishing,
[His] Tired head to snuggle;
And [feeling] numbed and sobbing,
In life's bosom, in paradise's bosom

To take – but – a minute to rest.
In her eyes, in her languor
Your mind and soul to drown,
To melt a heart in heart,
And drown in self forgetting.


 

But there was none to love;
There was none to copulate with;
And the heart cried, aching,
And freezing in the void.

Reavealed was something in
His yearning dream, to come,
While at limitless heights
The holy heavens smiled.
... ... ... ... ... ... ...

19.1.2021


Vladimir Vysotsky

Paradise apples

I will die someday - we always die someday.
How to guess so, lest not oneself – with a knife in the back:
The killed are spared, funeral service are chanted (in paradise they indulge)...
I will not say about the living, but we protect the dead.

I'll hit my face in the mud, I'll fall more beautifully on one side -
And my soul will hit in a gallop on stolen nags!
In marvelous paradise gardens I will pick up pale pinky apples ...
It's only a pity, the gardens are guarded and they shoot right in the forehead [without missing a count].

We galloped up. I look - nothing heavenly before my eyes:
A non-native wasteland and a continuous nothing - have no end.
And in the midst of the nothing there rose a cast gate,
And a huge camp at the gates looked at the gate.

How the indigenous laughs! I humbled with his affectionate word,
Yes, I barely ripped the burps out of the wet, and braided the mane.
A gray-haired old man fumbled with the bolt for a long time -
And grunted and grumbled, and could not open it – and left.

And the huge camp did not issue a single groan,
Only on his haunches he suddenly moved from his numb knees.
The raspberries, lads, - deafened with a raspberry ring!
All returned to a circle, and the crucified hung over the circle.

And the old man apostle - shouted over the guards - and commanded -
He called this one or that, and they started to open again ...
Someone hit with a stick with a screw, in full force, on the rail -
And there everyone rushed into that beautiful grace!

I recognized the old man by the tears on his flabby cheeks:
This is Peter the saint - he's an apostle, and I am a gawk.
Here are the orchard bushes, with loads of frozen apples in them...
But the gardens are guarded and they shoot in the forehead [without missing a count].

Give good to us all, and how many goods I demanded ?!
For me – that there were friends, and a wife -  that would fall on the coffin,
Well, it were for them that I’ll steal seedless apples...
It's only a pity, the gardens are guarded and they shoot right in the forehead [without missing a count].

In my numb hands, candles were melting like in candelabra,
And meanwhile I raised the horses to a gallop again.
I picked up, I shook those same seedless apples -
And for this they shot me without a miss in the forehead.

And I drove the horses away from these deadly and waste places,
Horses - with their heads up, but I also bit the bit.
Along the cliff with a whip across the abyss, a bosom full of apples
I will it bring you - you've been waiting for me even from paradise!

 

19.1.2021


No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment you MUST be
a Google account user